Monday 8 December 2008

Hatha Yoga

I had my first Yoga class on Saturday and left feeling wonderfully relaxed and without any pain (this hasn't happened in months). My tutor is wonderful and worked well with me and my condition and just told me to do what feels comfortable. I was fine doing most of the movements, though regrettably my flexibility isn't what it was. I look forward to the new year when I can really get into the classes and get some physical and mental balance.

Medical research shows yoga is successful because of the balance created in the nervous and endocrine systems. This influences the whole body and acts both as a curative and preventive therapy.

The essence of yoga lies in attaining mental peace, improved concentration powers and overall harmony in relationships. Yoga is the oldest science of life and originates from India. Its philosophy is based on simple living and high thinking. According to Vedanta Philosophy, the higher spiritual goal of its practices is to unite the individual consciousness Atman with the Supreme Consciousness Brahman; the Supreme Reality. This spiritual path requires the purification of the body and mind (by controlling the senses) and transcending beyond their limitations.

Today I read an article that Malaysia have banned the practice of Yoga as its Hindu roots can corrupt Muslims. This is ridiculous as Yoga philosophy views the spiritual path of each individual as a unique and personal experience. Its teachings do not discriminate between different faiths, and are more about mental and physical well being so you can focus on the spiritual.

I cannot wait until my next class!

No comments: