Tuesday 23 December 2008

Baking day !

Today is my Mum's fiftieth birthday and to celebrate this momentous occasion I have decided to grace the kitchen with my presence. All jokes aside I rarely experiment with my culinary skills (possibly the reason why I have very little flair in the cooking department).

Anyway I was not lacking in enthusiasm as I was dying to try out a carrot cake recipe that Jahnavi has recommended. I made it minus the nuts and raisins. As I also lack the ability to actually follow a recipe properly (I turn into my Mum when it comes to measuring and just kind of make it up as I go along) therefore mine is likely to be different to others who use this recipe. I figured as the oven was being used I may as well make some biscuits. I then remembered a lively girl tell me how much she loved fig biscuits and I thought I'd have some creative fun in the kitchen as I had been left to my own devices. "Quick warn the fire brigade!"... hmmmm my friends don't have much faith in me.

I started with the cake first and grated about three carrots. Now the recipe said three cups of grated carrots however it looked enough by eye, and I was too excited about making the cake. So 'that'll do'... I quickly mixed everything together...



Oh dear, I'm not even going to say what it looks like at this stage, ho hum...
I then stick it in the oven for 50 minutes. It comes out looking like a cake!



The cake has dipped a bit in the middle but that's no problem- I will disguise it with some decoration. Mum doesn't like icing, so I only dribble a little yoghurt fondant icing (basically just fondant icing sugar and greek yoghurt mixed together). I then create a little circle in the middle using dried pineapple chunks. Done!



The fig biscuits turned out well, however they were too crunchy for Mum. She kindly says they'll be great dipped in her morning chai. After offering the cake to Krishna I presented it with the biccies for Mum. The carrot cake is so scrumptious that Mum is looking forward to her friend visiting so she can offer her some! It isn't too sweet and has a nice and soft texture, not unlike the Jamaican Ginger cakes that are available. Next time I'll put more icing on it! I have definitely got the baking bug.



Fig biscuits

Ingredients

21/2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
125g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon oil
1 spoon ground peanuts
1 chopped chunk of crystallised ginger
3 finely chopped dried figs

Preheat oven to gas mark 4 (around 180 degrees). Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Mix butter and sugar until fluffy, then add oil. Add flour, nuts, chopped figs and ginger. Add a little water it it is dry. Clingfilm dough and stick in fridge for ten minutes. Roll out dough and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes as desired. Dust with a little brown sugar and bake for 30 minutes. I made them a bit too thick so gave them an extra ten minutes (soemthing to learn from next time!).

No comments: