Thursday 27 November 2008

Maths Challenge!

Today I accompanied some post-16 students to Sheffield Hallam University on a Team maths challenge (of all things!). The journey started off unsteadily- one student didn't turn up on time and I ended up sending another to find her. Luckily she finally arrived and we went on our way. Today the weather was pretty mild and even sunny in a chilly way. I enjoyed the drive to the university (mostly because I wasn't driving and I could soak up the scenery on the way). It was pretty idyllic, especially with pheasants running around and seeing christmas trees on the back of a truck.

I was mesmorised by a beautiful rainbow which appeared before the rain did. I have not lost that childlike wonder when I see a rainbow, it never fails to make me feel like something good is going to happen. The students were pretty quiet on the way there so I was left to my thoughts which was a pleasant change to usual school trips. I suspect mobile phones and Ipods can lead to them becoming a little antisocial.

Anyway we got there with no hassle (minus a bit of a messy episode where Hallam reception claimed to not be aware of any maths event). My lot were a little nervous when walking into a hall full of unfamiliar students from other schools, but settled pretty well. I knew immediately which group would win as they were definitely dressed for success in smartly pressed uniforms. In a funny twist of fate all teachers were told they'd be marking and monitoring different groups; I ended up with that group. They were a lovely bunch of lads: polite, respectful, committed and real team players. They did deserve to win and it felt good to see them get into the final which will be in London.

No comments: